CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+: No Longer Lifetime Certifications [GENERAL CERTIFICATION NEWS]

Kasia Grabowska recently posted a new article over on http://www.trainsignaltraining.com/ outlining the end of the “certified for life” program at CompTIA.

As she points out in her article, you used to visit the FAQ at CompTIA and see:

Question: Will I ever need to renew my certifications?

Answer: No, CompTIA certifications are lifetime certifications.

As of January 1, 2010 this is no longer the case.

The A+, Network+ and Security+ certifications will expire three years from the date they’re issued and you will be required to renew your credentials in order to stay current.

This applies to everyone — individuals who have obtained the certifications in the past and those who plan on completing them in the future.

So now the question is: Why has CompTIA decided now, after all these years to change their policy? And more importantly, is this a good thing or a bad thing?

 

I offered the following comments at the end of her article:

Updating your skills every three years is not such a bad idea and I have no issue with earning continuing education units (CEU) but the main issue that I have is that there is now an annual fee associated — $25 for those who are A+ certified and $49 for Network+ and Security+ certified individuals.

It’s a shame and it sounds like CompTIA is just interested in a revenue stream.

I hold five certifications from CompTIA; I for one won’t be throwing away $125.00+ dollars each year to maintain them.

I have been certified the longest in A+, dating back to 98 and I recertified just for the sake of an update for a class I was teaching. I didn’t need to but I wanted to make sure I was still teaching to the material that would be covered under the exams. I passed them both.

As far as Server+, Network+, Security+ and the rest – I’ll just say good bye now.

If CompTIA changes their mind I am good with supplying CEUs but maintenance fees are worthless for the person that is certified unless they need to keep their certification for their job and then in that case work should pay for it.

I dropped my CISSP after seven years for the same reasons; work didn’t want to pay the fees anymore and its not as if the skills jump out of my head when the certification expires.

 

Read all of the details in Kasia Grabowska article at CompTIA A+, Net+, Security+: No Longer Lifetime Certifications 

Comments

  1. Really liked this certification because it was for life, maybe CompTIA changed hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great. I have been A+ Certified since 1994 and now they tell me I 'm not anymore? Oh well, I guess they weren't generating enough interest or revenue from testing alone. I'll carry my card, but I am not recertifying.

    Microsoft tried this with the NT 4 MCSE and backed out after they found out that no one would renew or upgrade to the 2000 MCSE. We'll see how this works for CompTIA.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment